People with sleep apnea experience cessations in breathing during sleep, and the condition is associated with a range of serious side effects and illnesses. It used to be that you had to go into a sleep lab to have polysomnography, or a sleep test, in order to diagnose sleep apnea. In fact, having the test done in a sleep lab is a highly accurate method of diagnosing sleep apnea. However, we now offer a cutting edge program where you can take the test discreetly, in the comfort and privacy of your own home.
Here’s how it works
- If you think you may have sleep apnea, come into our office for an evaluation
- If we think you may be a candidate, we will write you a prescription for the home sleep apnea test kit
- You will fill the prescription for the sleep test kit
- Receive it
- Take the the test overnight
- Return the device, free of charge via Federal Express
- Results will be faxed back to us
- We will contact you to discuss your results with you. In addition to telling you if you have sleep apnea, we will provide you with a recommended treatment report and suggestions for sleeping and feeling better.
The device is very easy to use. It only requires 5 to 10 minutes before bedtime to assemble. The device is small enough to hang around your neck at chest level, without bothering you while you sleep. There’s a respiratory effort monitor to place around your chest, and an airflow sensor for your nose.
The device also has sensors for blood oxygen levels, body position, and night wake-ups. All sensors are attached directly to the recorder worn on your chest. This way, you don’t have to be attached to anything outside of your own body, allowing you total freedom of movement while you sleep.